Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Dog Eat Grapes

If your Dog is like mine, they will eat just about anything that falls on the ground. Most of the time, they just swallow it, especially if they see you eating it too. Did you know some foods we consume may be harmful to our loving Pet?

Can Dogs eat Grapes? Dogs should never eat Grapes or Raisins (dried grapes) in any amount because they are very toxic to Dogs and can cause Vomiting, Diarrhea, Lethargy, Kidney Failure, or can even be fatal.

How Do Dogs Get Grape Poisoning?

Dogs get Grape Poisoning by ingesting any color or variety of seeded or seedless grapes.

Examples of variety of Grapes are:

  • Grocery Store Grapes (Red and Green)
  • Vine Grapes (from Wineries)
  • Raisins (dried grapes)
  • Raisin Bran Cereal
  • Trail mix containing raisins
  • Baked Goods containing raisins (oatmeal Raisin Cookies)
  • Grape Juice
  • Wine

Why Are Grapes Toxic To Dogs?

Research does not yet know what causes a toxic reaction in Dogs when they ingest Grapes. The risk of your Dog being affected by Grape Poisoning has no barring on the gender, breed, size, or age of your Dog.

What Are The Symptoms of Grape Poisoning?

Grape Poisoning affects each Dog differently. Some Dogs can eat several Grapes without getting sick, while other Dogs that ingest one Grape can be fatal. There is no way to predict which Dog will have a more severe reaction to eating Grapes.

Early symptoms of Grape Poisoning is vomiting and diarrhea. This combination will make your Dog lethargic and dehydrated.

Additional symptoms of Grape Poisoning may be:

  • Loss of appetite or Refusing to eat
  • Increased thirst (can never drink enough water)
  • Extremely bad breath
  • Abdomen discomfort or painful to touch
  • Seizures or Tremors
  • Kidney Failure

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Grapes?

If your Dog ate Grapes, you should assume your Dog will be in the majority of those that have a severe toxicity from eating Grapes. Keep in mind, there are many unknowns, so do not take a chance when it comes to your precious pet. If you suspect Grape Poisoning contact your local Veterinarian immediately or contact the Pet Poison Hotline or the the Animal Poison Control Center (ASPCA).

If you know for a fact your Dog ate Grapes, your Vet may recommend you induce vomiting if your Dog has not vomited on their own. This is to prevent the Grape toxins from absorbing into their stomach and intestines. Keep in mind, the longer your Dog keeps the Grapes down, the more toxins they will absorb. To learn how to make your Dog Vomit and what other foods are toxic to Dogs, please see our article on, “What Table Foods Are Bad For Dogs?

The sooner the Grape Poisoning is identified and treated, the better changes your Dog has at survival. Unfortunately, there is no test for Grape toxins, therefore, your Vet will have to be diligent about taking a food history from you or see grapes within your Dogs feces. The longer you wait to take your Dog to the Vet, may cost you higher medical bills because treatment can get more extensive.

Your Veterinarian may recommend the following tests to determine your Dogs likelihood of recovery.

  • A complete blood count (CBC)
  • a serum biochemistry profile
  • urinalysis (to gauge kidney damage)

I know I am not the only one that feels bad for eating in front of my Dog, especially with those sad eyes looking at you. It is imperative to not give in, especially with Table Foods that are toxic to Dogs like, Grapes and Raisins.

Related Articles That May Interest You:

*This article is for information purposes only and any health concerns should be discussed with your veterinarian.


Leave a Comment