What Do I Give My Sick Dog?
There are a variety of reasons why our four legged friends get sick. The two most common sicknesses Pet Parents deal with are Diarrhea and Vomiting.
What do I give my sick Dog? If your Dog is Vomiting or has Diarrhea, give your Dog a Bland Diet in small portions, like boiled white meat with rice and limit the consumption of water to a little at a time.
How Do I Settle My Dogs Stomach?
Having an upset stomach is never fun, especially watching your Best Fur Friend go through it. An upset stomach may include Vomiting, Diarrhea, Nausea, Constipation, Gas, etc. If your Dog has an upset stomach for more than 24 hours and does not seem to be on the mend, consult a licensed Vet. Below are some options to treat your Dogs Upset Stomach.
Bland Food Ideas
- Skinless, Boneless, Unseasoned Boiled White Meat and White Rice will help settle your Dogs stomach because these are the main ingredients in many dog foods. Chicken is easy to digest and has essential vitamins, minerals, fats, and amino acids Dogs need.
- Cooked, Peeled, Unsalted, and Unseasoned Pumpkin helps regulate your Dogs Digestive System because it is high in Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Riboflavin, Potassium, Copper, and Manganese.
- Bone Broth will help settle a Dogs stomach because it is very mild. You can add it to dry food to add a flavor to entice your Dog to eat more.
- Stage II meat-based Baby Food that does not contain Onion or Garlic, like chicken, lamb, and turkey. Onion and Garlic are very Harmful to Dogs (For more Harmful Foods for Dogs, see the article, “What Table Food And Wastes Will Harm My Dog?“).
Home Treatment To Help a Dogs Upset Stomach
- Give a little bit of cooled, boiled water more often than a lot at once because drinking too much can cause more vomiting and result in Dehydration.
- Give Small amounts of Bland Food every two hours for 24 hours.
- Give Larger amounts of Bland Food less often for 48 hours.
- Begin Feeding the Dogs usual food.
Has My Dog Ate Something Toxic?
Let’s face it, we do not always have eyes on our Pets. Many Dogs think everything is Food or a Treat. Dogs can ingest Human Foods that can be Harmful to them. They can ingest chemicals, like fertilizer, dish soap, etc. that can do some serious harm. Sometimes after consuming something Toxic, your Dog will immediately throw up. Other times, they need assistance throwing up either by us or by trying to get themselves to throw up.
How Does My Dog Throw Up On Their Own?
When most dogs have an upset stomach, they feel the need to purge their digestive systems. The main way Dogs make themselves vomit is by eating grass. Pieces of grass tickle the back of their throat causing them to throw up. This is similar to those of us that stick their finger down your throat to vomit when you do not feel well.
If you KNOW your dog has ingested something toxic, consult your Vet immediately or take your Dog to the closest Emergency Vet Hospital. It is always a great idea to have these posted, so you have them when an emergency arises.
- Animal Poison Control Center – #888-426-4435
- Pet Poison Hotline – #855-764-7661
Related Articles That May Interest You:
*This article is for information purposes only and any health concerns should be discussed with your veterinarian.